MX User's Meeting - June 13, 2001
Recent developments in MX since Sept. 2000
MacOS X port
- Non-graphical operation fully supported.
- Tcl/Tk GUI support.
- Uses the Tenon port of Tcl/Tk and an in-house port
of [incr Tcl].
- This port does not yet work 100% correctly.
- Also plan to port to the XFree86 version of
MacOS X X11 support.
MX support for VME crates
- National Instruments PCI-to-VME bridge (VME-PCI8026) is now
supported on Linux using the NI-VISA package.
- MX drivers for digital I/O and the SIS 3801 MCS
have been written.
SIS 3801 multichannel scaler
- Can handle more than 2000 measurements.
- The 3801 works better as a multichannel scaler than
as a single channel scaler.
- Need to add support for external channel advance and gate.
XIA DXP-2X MCA support
- To be used with MR-CAT's 13 element detector.
- Has been tested with the new Mesa Data Server.
- Will be tested with XerXes later this week.
- Soon will support up to 16 ROIs per channel.
- The initial MX driver is very slow. Much performance
optimization is needed.
- Someday will support the acquisition of MCA spectra
and ROIs in a quick scan.
Quick scan support
- MCS quick scans
- Has been tested with the SIS 3801.
- Via the EPICS MCS record.
- Via the National Instruments PCI-to-VME interface.
- Can now quick scan using pseudomotors
that only depend on one real motor.
- Routine use is awaiting the final installation of
electronics to record monochromator encoder
positions in the 3801.
- Joerger quick scans
- Has been enhanced to include the acceleration distance
and pseudomotor support of the MCS quick scan.
- Should be able to quick scan any motor or pseudomotor
that depends on only one real motor.
- Has been demonstrated to have systematic errors in the
recording of positions and should be only used for
measurements where this does not matter.
- Works much better with older versions of the EPICS
scaler record than newer versions.
- Supports autoscaling of amplifier gains and filter settings
as the detector signal goes up and down.
- Motivated by the needs of powder diffraction, but usable
for other things as well.
Measurement fault and permit support
- Allows for retry of measurements that have been judged to be faulty.
- Allows a scan to wait for permission to proceed on each point.
- Used by the autoscaling support.
- Used by the APS topup interlock support.
MX server related upgrades
- The MX server now defaults to being run as a non-root user.
- Server messages can now be sent to the Unix syslog daemon.
- A GUI called mxcontrol has been written to
allow remote control of MX servers. Not 100% complete.
Motor record related upgrades
- Synchronous motion mode.
- Simultaneous start of Compumotor 6K motors is now supported.
- Pontech STP-100 controller is now supported.
- Motor speeds can be changed from the motor program's
command line. You should set speed limits in your
databases before using this.
- Support for theta-2theta and Q pseudomotors.
Software emulated device upgrades
- Soft motor record now supports programmable speeds, base speeds,
- Soft scaler record now supports intensity modifiers to simulate
the modification of the detector count rate by amplifier
gains or filters.
- MX now supports displaying a stack traceback when an MX
program crashes. Implemented on Linux, Solaris,
and SGI Irix.
- Some support for writing out MCA spectra for each point
in a scan. Needs to be enhanced for multiple MCAs.
New MX drivers added since Sept. 2000
- National Instruments PCI-to-VME bridge (VME-PCI8026)
- Amplifier autoscaling
- Combined filter/amplifier autoscaling
- Filter autoscaling
- Network autoscaling
- Bit input
- VME digital input
- Bit output
- VME digital output
- Disabled motor
- LakeShore 330 temperature controller
- Radix Databox motor
- Soft motor (heavily revised)
- Compumotor multi-motor translation
- Q motor = 4 * pi * sin(theta) / lambda
- Sector 18 monochromator
- Theta-2 theta motor
- XIA DXP-2X MCA  (via XerXes or MDS)
- MCS encoder
- Network MCE
- Radix Databox encoder
- Radix Databox MCS
- SIS 3801  (via MX VME record)
- Soft MCS
- Autoscale scaler
- MCA alternate time  (real time or live time)
- Radix Databox scaler
- APS insertion device quick scan
(not fully tested yet)